Saturday, October 8, 2011

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie Reflection

Francisco PS
                                                                                    October 3, 2011
                                                                                                                     
Reflection: Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie
           
Since the book “Drums Girls and Dangerous Pies” by Jordan Sonnenblick was recommended to me, I could tell there had to be something good in it because after reading the first couple of chapters I could actually relate to the story. This is because he was facing the same things a normal teenager would struggle with. The stories main character Steven is having trouble with the normal teenage problems like homework, grades, parents and many more until it so happened that a single car ride to the hospital would turn his world into chaos, his little brother Jeffrey was diagnosed with a shocking case of leukemia. I can sort of understand and feel what he is going through because it could happen to anybody you know.
Even though the title is very simple, by reading it I could tell what the book may be about without having to judge it by its cover the, but as I started getting deeper into the book, it has a deeper meaning; you just have to dig a little bit deeper. Since the book is titled “Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pies”, as I read it came clear to me that these were the thing that established a connection between Steven and Jeffrey other than being brother. Jeffrey highly looks up to Steven like a little brother would normally do, that’s why the book is titled this way, because Jeffrey looks up to Steven drumming, doesn’t really look up to his skills with girls, and together they invented a mixture of un-edible ingredients which they later called dangerous pie.
One thing that did surprise me was the way the author would give away reasons to why someone in this situation would just be torn apart in millions of directions sitting down and sobbing while the people surrounding you help you stand back up and continue through your struggle. At almost the very ending I started to think that Jeffrey would die since cancer is such a tough thing to deal with, especially since he was a little kid.
Now that I have finished this excellent book I believe that it will forever remain in my consciousness since it gave so much to things to value and think about in life. I am definitely willing to say that “Drums Girls & Dangerous pies” is for sure one of the best books I have ever read if one ever dares not to value the things he gets that might yet not seem so important at one time but could then mean the world to you and those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment