Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Lesson 6: To Kill a Mockingbird

Well, today was a long and bizarre day here in Maycomb County. As I woke up in the morning I couldn't apprehend what had happened, Mrs. Radley had died... But at least it was snowing. It was snow! It was the first time in my life where I had seen snow, and it was really weird since the climate here is usually sweltering.

               As I got out of bed and fully assimilated the fact that it was snowing, Atticus told me and Scout that we wouldn't be going to school. As soon as we heard the good news, Scout and I conspired to build a snowman, but we were short on snow; I knew one of Scout's ideas was imminent, so I waited until she figured it out. Just as I thought would happen, Scout decided we should go ask Miss Maudie if she'd let us take her snow.

               After we had gathered what we thought was enough snow, we were wrong, the snow wasn't going to be enough to build our snowman. To avoid dissension between Scout and I, the idea of building the inside of the snowman with mud formed in my head. I meticulously walked over to the backyard to avoid stepping on the snow. With both of my arms I picked up as much mud as I could and carried it back to where Scout was curiously standing. 
              
               A few moments after Scout and I had finished our Mr. Avery replica, Atticus arrived home from work. Before noticing the extra detail we had added to the snowman, Atticus lionized me for having the idea of building the snowman with mud. He said it was really smart of me to have done so, but his feelings for the snowman quickly changed when he saw the dirty detail Scout and I had humorously added. He asked us to take it off and we did as he said.
              
               As time elapsed, night fell and covered the skies; it was to go to sleep. Awoken by in the middle of the night by Atticus, he ordered me to quickly get out of the house and head over to the Radley House. When I was exiting my house, Miss Maudies’ house was in total anarchy; flames were bursting through every window, and were quickly consuming the whole house. It was calamitous even from where I was standing… The feared Radley House.

No comments:

Post a Comment