Monday, December 12, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye... Still Relevant Today?


The Catcher in the Rye… Still Relevant Today?

            The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger is an infamous book known all around the world, usually when a book is famous it is because many people have read it, but this one is also famous for been recalled as one of the books that has been banned the most. Within the pages of this book lay scenarios displaying “vulgar and obscene language’, drunkenness, prostitution, delinquency and references to sex it has also been accused of being: ‘anti-white’ (1963-Columbus, Ohio) (Chasan 2). After this been said, it is quite obvious that The Catcher in the Rye is not a book for children of small ages therefore it can only be read with a certain level of maturity coming from the reader. The Catcher in the Rye may not be an affable book to many of those who have heard of it or even read it, but it is still a coming of age book that I personally believe must be read with care and responsibility to analyze its pages in order to gain further understanding of the message J.D. Salinger was trying to transmit through the pages of the book. As a reader, I believe it is a must read, even in these times of terrorism and delinquency since a book doesn’t simply lose its meaning with time; yes, it still is relevant to this times.

            If one does right to read the book and analyze it carefully, one will get the message, but if one doesn’t read the book and analyze it carefully, one will not get the message whatsoever. I feel that the book must continue to be read because it shows the struggle of a young adult, sixteen year old Holden Caulfield struggling with his life without any direction to turn to in his existence. As I read, there were many things Holden did that I found strange and confusing since he not only lived in different times, but he was also alone in the streets of New York City. As time passed, I continued to gain different insights into Holden’s life and what he was thinking of doing next. An element that rose from the book or from my understanding of the book, is that one should always forge connections to other persons so you are never left alone like Holden was. It also concurred to me that the world is full of “phonies” just like Holden says.

            I think that as a teenager myself, all teenagers can distinguish something they can relate to in the course of Holden and the fact that he thinks of everyone as phonies. However, Holden eventually realizes that human relationships are very important and that they are worth the sacrifice of isolation. I say this is an accurate feeling that most teenagers can relate to. I believe that as a teenager, we are simultaneously repulsed and drawn to the adult world, and that this book vividly displays this conflict. Therefore, I have no more to say other than that this book should continue to be taught to teenagers, in an instructive manner.

            Even though this book has been banned in many places for its obscene language and explicit content, I believe that it is a very good book for young adults and teenagers because it is a coming of age novel. If I hadn’t read this book, I wouldn’t be aware of all the things that could happen if I went the wrong way with my life, but since I read it and analyzed it, I am now aware of the many things that can be avoided easily if one is careful enough to see them come before they strike.

            In all I believe that The Catcher in the Rye is still relevant to this times and will continue to be relevant throughout the future as more and more teenagers will continue to read it. Even though it has many obscene and vulgar scenarios, it teaches young adults that one must form strong connections with the people around you so you are never left alone without any hope; it also teaches many other things throughout its course that teach values to teenagers. I really enjoyed reading the book as for it will be one of my favorite coming of age novels, I also recommend it to all the teenagers who have it at their disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment