Monday, December 12, 2011

Memoir Monday: Stop Worrying, Start Chillin

Memoir Monday

            When I heard that my Dad was getting an operation I was quite concerned and worried about what could happen and if something could go wrong. As I was told more and more information, my worries kept rising… it turned even worse when my mom started talking to me with these complicated medical terms that I knew little about, like gallbladder for example.

            “Francisco, no hagas planes para estes viernes, que tu papa va a estar cansado,” Mom alleged to me across the dinner table.

            “Ok, Mama. Me voy a quedar en la casa entonces,” I answered back and stood up from my chair.

            Agh! I know I’m supposed to be helpful and all… but I really wanted to go out this Friday! I walked back to my room kind of stomping like a small kid on the long Persian rug that covers the marble floor on the hallway… hope my mom didn’t see me though.

            When I got to my room, I sat on the black couch that’s right in front of my television; I wasn’t thinking about anything or anyone… my mind was blank and empty except for one word… operation. I tried to keep my mind of the subject but it was useless, everything I thought of ended in the same thing, operation.  When I had had enough, I went over to my dad so we could talk.

            “Dad, can you tell me exactly what they’re going to do to you?” I demanded with a serious expression.

            “Ok, they’re going to take out my gallbladder and some other stuff… why? Are you worried?” He answered all suave.

            “No…” I lied and went back to my room.

            I threw myself against my bed and threw my socks to the floor. Why should I worry? Not even my dad seems to be upset or concerned… I guess it’s just me then. I focused on Facebook and on my television to make my mind not think about the operation anymore… but it came back to me when I stumbled upon a picture of a doctor on Google images.

            I looked over to my right in order to see what time it was, 9:45 my clock read. Since I couldn’t stop thinking about it, I just went to sleep so I could forget of everything, but first I thought of how my dad wasn’t even worried about the operation… I seriously need to stop taking things so seriously, life’s too short to worry too much.

4 comments:

  1. Francisco great job! I really like your story! Yes, you need to stop taking things so seriously. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fran, your stories are always very good, and this one is one of them. In your story you can really tell what you learned, which shows that you have a great talent in showing and not telling. I also liked your links alot (especially the one of the socks) you have a great sense of humor that makes everyone laugh.

    Keep amazing us with your stories and good wishes to you and your dad

    -Nico

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francisco I really like your memoir. I like the last thing you said, "Life is to short to worry too much". You also show what you feel a lot.

    ReplyDelete